Thursday 30 May 2013

Graduation Makeup 2013.




I graduated in April after a hard grind of 5 years at university, and I relished the chance to put more thought and effort into my makeup for the special occasion. Any excuse eh ;)

I think the photos came out really well, so I thought I would offer a few tips on how to make your graduation makeup photograph well, and show you what products I used.

Firstly, I decided to go for a classic look- I didn’t want any of it to look too heavy or ‘done’ I just wanted to look polished and pretty- that was the basic idea.


For my base, I went for all non-SPF products- no SPF in my moisturiser, primer or foundation to avoid the dreaded flashback face. I used MUFE Face and Body Foundation, which has a strange, gel-like texture, but I love it, as if you use thin layers, you can really build it up. I went for two layers of this foundation (all my makeup was a little bit ‘more’ as photographs tend to wash it out, but I didn’t want it to look like I had that much on- if that makes sense!)

Concealer-wise, I used my favourite Bobbi Brown creamy concealer in Sand to cover areas that needed a bit more coverage- my cheeks tend to need a bit more. Around my eyes I used a highlighting concealer (L’Oreal Lumi Magique) to brighten up the area.

As I wanted a low-key (looking) flush, I plumped for a shade of neutral pink on the cheeks (NARS Deep Throat). I used more blush than I normally would, as it tends to get washed out in photos. I swept a matte bronzer  (Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder in Golden Light 1) around my face, adding a little more definition under my cheekbones, and to the sides of my nose. I used a cream highlighter above my cheekbones (Jemma Kidd- sorry! But I love the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector too- its gorgeous!), on my brow bone, on my cupids bow, to the side of the outer corner of my eye, and down the bridge of the nose. I powdered to finish down the T-zone to keep everything in place (Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Translucent).



For eyeshadow, I wanted simple but effective. I had eyelash extensions (which I definitely recommend for a special occasion) and so decided I only needed a bit of eyeliner for definition (L’Oreal Infallible Stylo Eyeliner in Night Day Black) on the top lashes, and the upper waterline, underneath Painterly Paint Pot by MAC, the rest of the lid was a sheeny-champagne (from the Truth Palette by BareMinerals- post coming soon on this!) with a matte brown in the crease (I love the Urban Decay Naked Palette for this). I made sure to add a bit more highlight to the inner corner of my eye and brow bone (the Lumi Magique works well).

Brows were stained with a little Colorsport Eyebrow Definer (ink pencil) and filled in with NARS brow pencil in Ipanema. If, like me, your hair is a cool-toned brown, make sure your brow pencil has no red undertones in it, as this can be unflatteringly emphasised in photos.




For lips, I needed long-lasting, and natural looking, so I went for a formula that left a stain underneath once the gloss had worn off (L’Oreal Caresse in 102 Romy). I used a light pink gloss over top (Nars Deep Throat lip gloss).



For nails, I wanted neutral so I went for my favourite Essie Topless and Barefoot- two coats was enough.

Hair wise I just left it out and curled it, then brushed out the curls into more waves. I have very little hair-talent so just kept it fuss-free with hairspray to finish.



I hope that was helpful in some way, and given you some ideas for products to use for photography. I am no expert, and made sure to experiment and photograph different combinations (I am a makeup nerd after all) until I found the look I liked the best.

Tips:

·      Try and use SPF-free products, or take a test photo to ensure no flashback from your foundation

·      Try to pick formulas that are long lasting. This goes for foundation, blush, lipstick- maybe even double up, setting a crème blush with a powder blush, crème bronzer with powder bronzer. A setting powder should be used lightly, and make sure this also doesn’t give flashback face

·      Make sure if you are getting a fake tan, that your face matches it

·      Play around with highlighting and bronzing to emphasise or play down certain features

·      Consider a combination of matte and shimmery eyeshadows, as too much shine on the eyes can sometimes not photograph well! Using a primer underneath also helps enhance shadows vibrancy and keeps it hanging around longer



Thanks for reading, and hope it helped! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment